SAN FRANCISCO - July 15, 2014 - Voxer a pioneer in push-to-talk (PTT) and multimedia messaging, today introduced “Walkie Talkie” mode for Voxer Business users, which converts smartphones into push-to-talk (PTT) devices for live communication. Listening to messages stream out live, or using a wired speaker mic or headset, users can receive and respond to voice messages in real-time, without having to keep Voxer open on their smartphones or other devices, such as iPods or iPads. The communications are recorded, enabling playback at later times, and employees can manage group communications and respond to messages via a desktop Web interface.
Cost effective, carrier agnostic and playback support
Traditional PTT solutions are extremely limited as they only work on a specific carrier. For employees located in multiple regions, users are forced to communicate over networks that are not optimal for their area, so messages often fail or are unclear. Employees located in other countries may not even have the option to communicate with each other over PTT. Each carrier also has a specific set of devices assigned for PTT use, so organizations are forced to equip their employees with the appropriate device. Since it supports live-only messaging, communication is inefficient as users may miss messages and conversations are often repeated.
Two-way and CB radios are expensive, as hardware needs to be purchased for every employee, and the FCC enforces licensing fees for radios being used for business purposes. Voxer Business can be used on existing smartphones, regardless of device, operating system or carrier, and also works on WiFi. It can be downloaded or deployed as an application, and end-users can sign in using existing company credentials through single sign-on (SSO) support. Administrators can create pre-set groups, or users can create team chats on the go. The new version of Voxer Business also includes:
• Headset support: Voxer Business officially supports headsets from Savox, iAsus and Apple earbuds, and also works with other wired headsets, so users can communicate entirely hands-free, without opening the app on their device.
• Redesigned iOS interface: Intuitive and consistent with the iOS flat design, the interface provides control and emphasis of the content, along with a larger button for easy access.
• Read receipts: Users can now see if their message has been read by others, for better tracking of communication. Read receipts appear on a per user basis for group chats.
• Easy Talk Widget for Android: Android users will now have access to Voxer Business right from their home or lock screen, and can send and receive messages without opening the app on their device.
• Forwarding messages: Android and Windows Phone users can quickly forward messages to other users.
“Carrier-based PTT solutions aren’t keeping pace with the demand of growing workforces across the globe. Traditional PTT has limitations on the devices and providers that can be used, while two-way radios are expensive and an unnecessary addition to carry around,” said Irv Remedios, president, Voxer. “Voxer Business’ walkie-talkie mode enables companies to replace these older PTT solutions with a modern, easy to deploy and cost effective solution. Employees can use any device or carrier they want and are not locked in to any type of contract, providing the ultimate flexibility in business communications.”
Voxer is a San Francisco-based company that was founded in 2007 with the vision to make worldwide communication easy and more efficient. The privately held company offers both a free Voxer application and Voxer Business service designed for small and mid-sized business and enterprise-wide deployments. Voxer’s proprietary technology allows companies to send live and simultaneously recorded voice, text, and photos from any iPhone, Android, Windows Phone 8 device or desktop browser. The free Voxer application is consistently in the top 20 for global social networking applications downloaded, and Voxer Business was chosen as the Best Overall Application and Best Social Business Application by the Silicon Valley Business App Awards in 2013. The company has raised $30 million in funding from Institutional Venture Partners, Intel Capital, SV Angel, CrunchFund and other investors. To learn more, please visit www.voxer.com.